Put autism to work!
In partnership with local business diversity committees, human resource departments, hiring managers and leadership, AuSM provides all the knowledge you need to attract and retain the gifts of autism. From recognizing and supporting the employees living with autism that you currently have to attracting new employees to enhancing your customer relations, AuSM provides the tools you need to become the company of choice for families living with autism.
"Thanks so much to Sherrie Kenny and Larry Moody for designing and presenting two valuable session on ASD for MnDOT staff. The evaluations indicate they were both enormously well received and deemed valuable by attendees - in other words, you were AuSM! Congratulations on growing the Society into such a valuable resource for our state! We look forward to further collaboration with you."
Lynnette M. Geschwind, AAO
Director & ADA Coordinator
Office of Affirmative Action
MN Department of Transportation
"I appreciate how AuSM's employment training directly related to perceptions in the workplace and understanding the need for accurate information about autism as well as the tools that benefit both the individual and the employer."
SES Lead Staff
Click here to download and read the autism and employment article featured in the First Quarter 2013 issue of Employee Benefits Planner magazine.
Our Employment Services for Employers
- basic autism education workshops
- Autism Awareness sessions - on-site and tailored to match your needs
- one-on-one sessions with management
- one-on-one sessions with employees
- support resources and on-site classes for parents living with autism
- Employment Guide - quick reference for managers, hiring personnel, human resources, employees, parents
- employment videos and e-learning tools
- annual Autism & Employment Forum and Business Awards
- training for employees who are parents of special needs children affected by autism on home and work balance challenges
Benefits of Employing Individuals with ASD
- increased loyalty
- support for diversity councils
- improved productivity
- reduced costs
- increase in employee outside-the-box problem-solving and ideas
New Employment Books for Employers and Individuals Seeking Employment
"Overlooked Talent: Investing in Employees with Autism" is tailored for employers and hiring managers. "Unlocked Potential: An Employment Guide for People with Autism" is geared toward individuals seeking employment. These books are available at the AuSM office. If you would like a copy, please stop by. Employment book quantities are limited.
Employment and Autism Tools - DVD Series
AuSM has designed four DVDs to help employers understand autism spectrum disorder. The DVDs are to be used by human resources personnel and hiring managers, as well as people affected by autism spectrum disorder.
DVD 1: Inteviewing Techniques
DVD 2: Accommodation Strategies
DVD 3: Acclimation of a New Hire
DVD 4: E-Learning Tool (includes instructions and coursework)
These DVDs can be enhanced to add more scripts that are conducive to your workplace, and they can be used with your Learning Management Systems (webinars). The DVDs are available at the AuSM office. If you would like a set, please stop by. DVD set quantities are limited.
Another reference document for employers is Tools & Strategies for Managers and Supervisors. This pdf contains information on working with people who have high functioning autism and Asperger's Syndrome. Click here to view this pdf.
AuSM Employment Initiative
The AuSM Employment Initiative has been featured in a national publication. Read about our work with local employers and the impact it is having. Click here.
Individuals Seeking Employment
AuSM partners with local business diversity committees, human resource departments, hiring managers and leadership to educate employers on how to attract and retain individuals on the spectrum. Through this partnership, AuSM also gains knowledge that we convert to tools to help you identify jobs that fit your gifts and talents in order support your goal of becoming successfully employed.
Click here to link to the Autism Society of Minnesota's Bookstore on Amazon. Here you will find our selected titles and other offerings itemized by category, including Autism and Employment. Click on this category on the right side of the page and you will see AuSM's Autism and Employment recommended books list. A portion of each sale made through AuSM's Bookstore on Amazon will go directly back to AuSM to support our many programs.
"I always dreamed of programming computers, actually making them. When I graduate, I will be definitely ready to get a job. I can also think outside the box a lot easier, because I've had to my whole life."
Jeffrey Mahacek, Dakota County Technical College Honors Student
AuSM offers you:
- a resource list of employers who are looking to secure someone with ASD (see above)
- a partnership with a number of agencies that provide placement, including the Department of Economics and Employment and Vocation Rehabilitation Services
- therapies specific to an adult with ASD struggling to be successful in a challenging work place environment
- an annual state conference that includes in speakers specific to employment
- mentoring capabilities
- Skillshops on resume writing/transition challenges
- an e-learning tool and professional videos to help with challenges in the workplace
- a connection to the MN Business Leadership Networks
- an Autism & Employment forum where you can learn more about employment strategies