Work at Camp
An AuSM opportunity for students, para-professionals, teachers, and service providers. Make a difference this summer. As an AuSM camp counselor, you have the chance to:
- Get valuable hands-on experience using structure, environmental supports, social stories, and individual communication systems.
- Apply to work any number of sessions you desire.
- Do it! As a camp counselor, you not only gain personal experience, you touch the lives of individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder by providing a unique camp experience.
AuSM Camp Staff Applications
Click here to apply to work at a 2020 AuSM Summer Camp.
Registered Nurses and Nurse Support Staff Needed
Story from an AuSM Camp Counselor*
My name is Sara. I was a camp counselor for the first week of day camp this summer. My camper was Ben. I was just thinking about the first day of camp when Ben, who was not thrilled to be at camp, refused to get out of his car. Then I remembered the last day and how it was so hard to say goodbye to him.
Ben and I still keep in touch. He texts me from his mother's phone to fill me in on his life. As a matter of fact, he told me he did a school project about a friend he admired, and he chose to write about me. It is a day-maker when I get a message from Ben. It warms my heart to know that I impacted someone's life, but it also warms my heart to know and have a friendship with someone like Ben. Not only is he bright and talented, but he has this ability to make me smile, laugh, and appreciate life.
Being a counselor reassured me that helping people is my passion. My bond with Ben has shown me that occupational therapy is my path in life. I will never forget Ben or the experience I had at camp with him. Thank you for giving me an experience that has and will continue to inspire me.
*The names in the story have been changed for anonymity.
About AuSM Camp
- All meals and staff housing with modern quarters are provided (for residential camps only).
- Activities may include swimming, hiking, fishing, boating, crafts, nature, archery, horseback riding, and music therapy with a focus on social interaction and communication.
- Campers are divided into groups by age, gender, and interests.
- All sessions have program staff with a background in autism to assist the counselors.